Project Manager, EstimatorBaker Electric has been in business since 1938 and is a fourth generation, full service electrical contractor. We have completed projects throughout Southern California and our project portfolio includes commercial, healthcare, public works, multi-family, utility and commercial scale solar, and service and controls. The Baker Values that we hold true to our customers and employees are: Integrity, Pursuit of Excellence, Family Spirit, Ethics, and Innovation.We are in search of a Project Manager/Estimator/Business Development professional to produce and assemble accurate bids for projects and manage those projects to ensure successful implementation of Baker Electric’s objectives. This role is part of our Services group and will be a key individual in building the business group further and creating long lasting business relationships.ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Estimating
- Participate in meetings with the Service group PM/Estimating personnel to review project bids and verify job cost information to limit potential errors reducing risk.
- Receive bid invitations from sales personnel; verify number of competitors; review bid documents and generate RFI’s to expose details that may reduce the number of potential bidders.
- Analyze blueprints, specifications, proposals, and other documentation and complete quantity survey to prepare time, cost, and labor estimates for projects.
- Assemble estimate folder ensuring all estimate information is complete and accurate per Baker Electric standards and participate in the job hand-off process.
- Compute cost factors and prepare estimates used for management purposes, preparing bids, selecting vendors, or subcontractors, and determining cost effectiveness.
- Perform all take-off and quantity surveys per company standardized procedures.
- Solicit subcontractor and material/equipment quotes for estimating purposes.
- Develop processes to improve methods and procedures; ensure process is in-line with Baker standards and implemented by department PM/Estimators.
- Review all contracts received to verify cost, scope, and qualifications prior to submission.
- Create milestone schedules and cost element breakdowns including crew rates and size.
- Verify that construction is in accordance with the engineer’s drawings and specifications and prevailing building codes.
- Conduct contract review after bid is awarded to ensure scope of work and price is accurately reflected in contract.
- During design build projects coordinate with the electrical engineer to ensure scope of work accurately reflects the RFP, original estimate, and budget.
- Manage expenditures in accordance with budget allocations and ensure schedules are maintained.
- Review job cost reports and records of material/manpower activities.
- Provide projections for future manpower and equipment needs for budgeting.
- Solicit and award subcontract and/or purchase orders for all major material within budget guidelines and negotiate advantageous prices, services and terms and as approved by the Director of Service.
- Monitor that the foremen is verifying that all material, equipment, and tools are being ordered and arriving on the job site on schedule, and field paper work is maintained correctly.
- Review and qualify all field generated RFIs and requests prior to submittal to the General contractor or Owner.
- Build key customer relationships to maintain a good position in the business market.
- Establish target list of customers; ensure that their needs are identified and satisfied.
- Actively maintain extensive knowledge of targeted customers and their positions in the business market to allow Baker TSG to capitalize on their endeavors.
EDUCATION, SKILL, EXPERIENCE OF SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES:
- Minimum 3 years of experience in project management, estimating, or installation.
- 1 year experience in business development or sales a plus.
- 1 year experience in a Supervisory or Management capacity a plus.
- Knowledge of estimating software required, experience using Accubid preferred.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required.
- Associate’s degree in relevant field or the completion of a journeyman program a plus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT:Standard office environment. Individual will frequently be required to stand, walk, sit, talk, and hear. Occasionally may have to lift boxes full of materials for purposes of setup of programs, typically 20 pounds or less. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:Baker Electric, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage applications from all individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, pregnancy, national origin, sexual orientation, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability or status as a Special Disabled Veteran, Vietnam Era Veteran or other qualifying veteran, political affiliation or belief. Baker Electric, Inc. is committed to building and maintaining an inclusive environment.
Desired Skills and Experience
Project Management, Estimating, Business Development, Accubid, Electrical, Contracting