MetOcean Solutions is a science-based consultancy and forecast supplier providing specialist numerical modelling and analytical solutions in meteorology and oceanography. Based in New Plymouth and Raglan (New Zealand) our international team works on projects and data analysis world-wide. We passionately believe in rigorous scientific method and in applying the latest information technology to data services.
A medium-sized company, MetOcean Solutions occupies several niche consultancy and service roles and has a rapidly growing forecast and hindcast sector. We are currently seeking a talented Oceanographic Data Scientist to join our team.
Our employees enjoy an open-office, upbeat culture within a small coastal city on the North Island of New Zealand. Our company atmosphere promotes a “work hard – play hard”’ attitude, supported by flexible hours to ensure a healthy work-life balance. We encourage our people to bring fresh ideas to the table, rise to any challenge, and remain passionate about our products and the company mission.
We are seeking a self-starter to work in our multi-disciplinary R&D environment. Your role will be to conceive, design, prototype, improve and/or implement advanced algorithms to generate solutions to critical oceanographic problems/challenges as required to support various MetOcean Solutions projects and programmes. The role also includes participation in the consultancy team, with particular focus on post-processing/analysis of hindcast and measured metocean data and report writing.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work in a growing environment with an interesting and challenging mix of science and technology.
Qualifications:Â PhD or equivalent experience.
To apply you must have the following skills and experience:
– Advanced skills in data analysis and signal processing of oceanic and atmospheric parameters.
– Numerical and/or analytical modelling experience in oceanography and/or meteorology.
– Strong background in extreme value analysis of oceanic and atmospheric parameters.
– Proficiency and expertise with scientific programming in Matlab (including GUI programming) and Python.
– Ability to use Linux and Windows operating systems.
– Competency in GIS softwares (e.g. Surfer, Global Mapper)
– Strong technical and scientific report writing in English, with the ability to communicate complex science to a range of audiences.
Experience with the following would be beneficial, but not essential:
– Operational forecasting.
– Remote High Performance Compute.
– Scientific wave and/or hydrodynamic model code development.
– Working at sea (i.e. data collection, instrument deployment)
– Interacting with databases.
– Familiarity with NetCDF including creating CF compliant NetCDF files.
Our ideal candidate would demonstrate the following characteristics:
– Good overall theoretical knowledge of physical oceanography and meteorology.
– Integrity and high standards.
– An ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
– High level of attention to detail.
– Enjoys being part of a fast-moving team.
– Capable of working in a team with minimal supervision.
– Effective decision-making skills.
– A quick learner with a “can do” attitude.
– Methodical logical approach to problem-solving.
– An ability to prioritise tasks and manage projects in a timely fashion.
– A supportive and positive attitude.
– A curious mind that will encourage exploration.
Please note before you apply:Â This role is a permanent full-time position, but hours can be flexible to suit your lifestyle. Pay is based on skill and experience. The job position is in our New Plymouth Office, New Zealand. Applications close onÂ October 6, 2017.
To apply for this position, please email your cover letter and CV to:Â firstname.lastname@example.org
Please reference Application forÂ Oceanographic Data Scientist 2017 in Subject line. Â
Organisational Development Manager
MetOcean Solutions Ltd
PO Box 441, New Plymouth, New Zealand 4340
T:Â +64 7-825 0540
M:Â + 64 21 246 2531