Research Scientist: Analytical | Req. # 201708-360-14
Genomatica is a widely-recognized technology leader for the chemical industry. It delivers new manufacturing processes that enable its partners to produce the world’s most widely-used chemicals from alternative feedstocks, with better economics and greater sustainability than petroleum-based processes.
Genomatica is seeking a Research Scientist with experience in analytical chemistry to work as a member of the Analytical Sciences team. The Analytical team is responsible for quantitative and qualitative analysis of fermentation samples, including metabolomics, using a variety of chromatographic, mass spectrometric, and spectroscopic techniques, including LCMS, GCMS, HPLC-UV-RID, Ion Chromatography, and FTIR, ultimately helping develop cost-advantaged production of chemicals using microorganisms. The successful candidate will utilize her/his knowledge of LCMS/MS and metabolomics to support and help advance Genomatica strain engineering and process technology platforms.
- Develop and carry out targeted (and possibly untargeted) HR LCMS/MS analysis to characterize intracellular metabolome as part of Genomatica systems biology platform
- Method development for small molecule analysis utilizing Sciex 5600 Triple TOF LCMS system and other LCMS instruments as needed
- Quantitative and qualitative analysis of small molecule metabolites
- Stable isotope (13C) labeling distribution analysis as part of metabolic flux analysis
- LCMS instrument maintenance and troubleshooting
- Data analysis, interpretation and communication to project and functional teams
- PhD in Analytical chemistry or Biochemistry. PhD with 2+ years of experience in biotechnology industry or academia.
- Expertise and strong knowledge of chromatography, mass spectrometry, experimental metabolomics and 13C flux analysis. Specifically, proficiency and proven records of method development and problem solving utilizing LCMS and HR LCMS, including QTOF platforms, are required. Knowledge of Sciex Analyst and related software for Triple TOF instruments is preferred. Focus on small molecule and metabolite analysis. Experience in proteomics is a plus.
- Proficiency in LCMS instrument troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Experience with HTP analytical experimentation, automated liquid handling robotics and sample preparation platforms.
- Familiarity with metabolic engineering basics.
- Advanced computer skills for data processing and statistical analysis.
- Excellent organization and communication skills, written and oral.
- Great team player.
Work Environment/ Physical Demands
This position involves working primarily in a laboratory setting. As such this position requires the ability to stand or sit at the bench, the use of standard laboratory equipment as well as computers and office equipment. The position requires communication with other individuals through a variety of methods.