Job description on Jupiter website: https://jobs.lever.co/jupiterintel/a77845c1-02bf-4032-8a61-224364900cf6
Coastal Ocean Modeler
ALL – SAN MATEO, CA | BOULDER, CO | NEW YORK
EARTH & OCEAN SYSTEMS
Jupiter provides data and analytics services to customers to better predict and manage risks from naturally occurring disasters and effects of climate change across the globe. Our company is comprised of a dynamic team of experienced executives, successful entrepreneurs, and world-class scientists and engineers. Together, we will help customers utilize Jupiter’s solutions in an effort to make the world a better, safer place. Come be a part of our exciting journey! Salary commensurate with experience.
Jupiter seeks to fill a position on its FloodScore inland and coastal ocean modeling team. The Flood Team focuses on developing high-resolution, large scale hydrodynamic and hydrology/hydraulic flood model applications using the FloodScore Operations platform. The System is a next generation, physics-based application that delivers hyperlocal probabilistic hydrodynamic forecasts over a five-day horizon. The new hire would be part of the Flood team developing, refining, applying and analyzing results from the FloodScore platform.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to building comprehensive hydrodynamic and hydraulic modeling systems for urban corridors worldwide
- Find, curate, and adapt data sets from a variety of sources
- Couple multi-scale climate, weather, coastal and hydrologic models
- Execute models efficiently, and ensure the results are sound
- Calibrate and validate models as required
- Contribute to reports and presentations
- Pre-process high-resolution data including atmospheric and ocean data sets
- Post-process output from hydrodynamic models for input to other models
- Travel Requirements : Occasional travel may be required
- Minimum qualifications include:
- Ph.D. in Physical Oceanography or related field
- Three to five years of experience in numerical modeling and/or data analysis
- Experience with the Rutgers ROMS or Princeton’s POM, or similar wetting and drying coastal hydrodynamic model
- Knowledge of calibration and validation on coastal ocean and/or estuarine circulation models using rigorous statistical methodologies.
- Strong coding, debugging, and scientific visualization skills in FORTRAN, Python, or other similar languages in a Linux OS environment
- Working knowledge of probability and statistics
- Self-motivated; able to work in a fast-paced environment, and with other team members with different scientific and technical backgrounds
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Additional desirable qualifications:
- Knowledge of open-source GIS software such as QGIS
- Knowledge of commercial cloud computing environments
- Experience working with one or more MPI stacks
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to us to see if there might be a great fit.