Online Job Description: https://jobs.lever.co/jupiterintel/aa979ed6-24e7-462c-b0b7-c6eb780327f4
ALL – SAN MATEO, CA | BOULDER, CO | NEW YORK METRO
EARTH & OCEAN SYSTEMS
Jupiter provides data and analytics services to customers to better predict and manage risks from naturally occurring disasters and effects of climate change across the globe. Our company is comprised of a dynamic team of experienced executives, successful entrepreneurs, and world-class scientists and engineers. Together, we will help customers utilize Jupiter’s solutions in an effort to make the world a better, safer place. Come be a part of our exciting journey! Salary commensurate with experience.
This position is in a fast-growing company created to meet the global demand for local climate and weather information to protect and develop assets, and to manage risk in operations. You will work with data scientists, physical scientists, and software engineers to implement, interpret, and scale hydrologic and hydraulic modeling capabilities globally, with an emphasis on urban areas. Model preparation, calibration, and execution will be primary parts of your contributions to Jupiter’s mission. Innovations toward cloud deployment and open-source solutions will provide you the opportunity to think differently about hydrology and hydraulic modeling.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Build high resolution hydrologic and hydraulic models
- Contribute to the development of operational flood forecast systems
- Couple multi-scale atmospheric, coastal and hydrologic models
- Calibrate and validate models using satellite data and sensor observations
- Execute models efficiently, and ensure the results are sound
- Pre-process high-resolution data including topographic/elevation data and land use
- Post-process output from hydrodynamic models for input to hazards calculations
- Contribute to Jupiter innovation in science and software
- Contribute to reports and presentations
- Travel requirements: Minimal
- Minimum qualifications include:
- Experience with implementing regional distributed hydrologic models
- Experience with calibrating hydrologic models
- Experience with coupling climate, weather, coastal and hydrologic components using open source models
- Experience in Linux and writing clear code for operational use using high-level languages (e.g. Python or R)Experience with GIS software, especially open sourceDemonstrated ability to work both independently and in team environmentsAbility to work in a fast-paced environment, and with other team members with different scientific and technical backgrounds
- Additional desirable qualifications:
- Experience modeling complex urban flood problems using one- and two-dimensional hydraulic models, and with complex hydraulic structures such as tide gates
- Experience in data assimilation
- Experience in parallel HPC environments and working on one or more commercial cloud computing services
- A Doctorate or Masters degree from an accredited college or university with a field of study closely related to hydrology, land surface modeling, hydraulics, flood forecasting or water resource management.
- Three to five years of experience, which may include work towards a Ph.D.
Please submit your Cover Letter and Resume to us to see if there might be a great fit.