Apply for this job here
Bedrock is operationalizing the largest Earth-exploration mission in human history. We’re doing that by developing robotics & software to explore, map, and classify the entirety of Earth’s ocean floor. The oceans are a critical component of climate stabilization. Our hope is to provide critical subsea data and infrastructure to further understand and predict the fundamental forces that support harmonious human existence on this planet.
We are looking for a well-rounded, experienced operations technician to support our expanding Robotics team both inside and outside our Richmond, CA office. As the trusted right-hand to the CTO and Co-Founder, you will be responsible for a variety of high-impact tasks that touch both the Engineering team and the broader world of Ops for the entire company. You will be critical to creating and maintaining processes that drive operational efficiency – you will be a force multiplier for the output of those around you. In addition to the CTO, you will work alongside a Mechanical Engineer, Robotics Engineer, and Robotics Software Engineer.
– Penchant for following procedures and checklists, though can also recognize when they should be updated
– Experience managing vendors, budgets, and purchasing
– Strong experience in launch and recovery of ocean assets, field diagnostics, troubleshooting, and repairs
– Familiar with operating drones and/or robots, ideally AUVs
– Ability to operate or assist with: fork lift, boats, trucks, towing, boat launches (ramp and crane)
– Ability to maintain upkeep of boats, trailers, engines, tooling, and other equipment
– Scuba diving certified for asset recovery; dry suit experience helpful but not required
– Experience with underwater search and recovery techniques in low visibility
Mechanical & Electrical
– Familiar with proper shop tool usage
– Strong metal work and mechanical fabrication skills, can demonstrate creativity even with few resources
– Experience with various builds: jig fabrication, tig/mig welding, composite work, metal working, woodworking, 3D printing, etc.
– Experience with harnessing and cable building, debugging, soldering, crimping, splicing, potting, routing
– Knowledge of basic electronics tools and instruments, with ability to read electrical schematics
– Experience with electric motor and actuator systems
– Experience with both hydraulic and pneumatic systems
– Experience with outboard engines
Due to the wide breadth of tasks and responsibilities in this role, we expect you to be a highly organized individual who thrives in a hands-on environment. You are equipped with plenty of outdoor and machinery experience, paired with a can-do attitude. You excel at thinking on your feet when put in changing environments. You understand the importance of real-time, constant communication with HQ as the primary source of situational awareness for the team. Most of all, you leave your ego at the door and you believe the team’s success is your success.
Some other qualities you exhibit:
– Detail oriented and highly organized; lover of processes
– Results-driven, able to get things done in imperfect scenarios
– Highly adaptable to rapid, changing environments with limited instruction
– Not afraid to ask questions when things are unclear; you understand the ramifications of incomplete assumptions
– Can properly assess time-critical decisions and tradeoffs, and have demonstrated high success rates in times of limited or black-out communication
– Value the safety of crew and assets above mission success – you can call pause regardless of how critical the mission at hand to ensure unnecessary risks are avoided
– Some might call you MacGyver – your creativity in crafting solutions for a time-sensitive, complex situation often saves the day
This is a physically active role that will require the following characteristics:
– Ability to lift up to 25 lbs independently
– Visual: Near, far, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to distinguish basic colors
– Auditory: Hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively in loud areas (pier/dock, warehouse)
– Other physical tasks include occasional prolonged standing/walking, use of hands for basic/fine grasping and manipulation, repetitive motion, reaching above and below the shoulders, pushing, pulling, kneeling, bending, twisting, and stooping
– Will be exposed to dust or other irritants and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards
– Include travel to various site locations (travel less than 25% of time; travel will also occur in spurts, mission-dependent)
While you will not start sea duty day 1, this is something that you will need to be prepared for in the next 1-3 months. You can expect conditions to escalate as our robots progress through rounds of testing.
Here’s what we’ll ask of you:
– May work at least 8 hours/day and, at times consecutively, in excess of this during missions requiring offshore work
– Missions can last up to 2 weeks at a time, though you will return shoreside after each day’s work
– Missions can occur anywhere along the US coastline, in all seasons
– May experience extreme conditions, including heavy seas
– Sleep and work hours can deviate from those on land (may work on watch schedule)
– May experience rudimentary living and working conditions, with shared and basic living quarters
– Should be able to carry heavy gear and help in the loading and unloading of the vehicle
– Ability to operate a boat and assist with boat/dock launches
Benefits & Compensation
We offer a competitive package that includes 75% medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage.
Explore the last true frontier left on Earth with us
We’re seeking ultra-determined people who aren’t afraid to pioneer new solutions and challenge conventional assumptions. Most of all, we’re looking for high-quality, good human beings with low egos.
Bedrock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bedrock determines employment on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.