RBR creates instruments to measure the blue planet. From the ocean abyss to the polar ice cap, our sensors track water parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, dissolved gases, and many others. RBR equipment enables researchers to develop innovative measurement solutions that are deployed in the surf zone, mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, towed behind boats, and sent to the bottom of the deep ocean.
As an Underwater Vehicles Application Engineer at RBR, you will work in conjunction with our software, firmware, electrical, and mechanical engineers to develop and maintain integrated system products which build on and extend RBR’s core data logger technology for our OEM partner. The OEM technical team at RBR is dedicated in developing responsive partnerships with our OEM customers to deliver integrated systems that will enable new measurement capabilities and discoveries. RBR OEM products are delivered as individual components or fully waterproof instruments for a wide variety of subsea products, robotic platforms, and autonomous vehicles.
Over the last five years, we’ve grown 20% annually and are now ~60 people. We’ve been recognised for three years by Growth 500 and have won a Best Ottawa Business Award.
We provide a balanced work environment complete with a very competitive compensation package.
- Providing the technical interface between the research and development team and OEM customers;
- Ensuring complete documentation is delivered to customers;
- Working with customers to define OEM product requirements;
- Supporting new and existing customers designs;
- Translating customer requirements into RBR solutions;
- Driving research and development work on OEM products as a customer advocate;
- Providing technical support for OEM customers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, System Engineering, Mechatronics, Computer Science or a related discipline, or equivalent experience;
- Minimum five (5) years of industry experience;
- Attention to detail;
- Strong analytical thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Familiarity with electronics to the degree of being able to follow the logical flow of a schematic design;
- Demonstrated abilities debugging electronics and system-level issues using modern lab equipment including high-speed oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, voltmeters, etc.;
- An understanding of basic mechanical properties such as tolerancing, surface finishes, material properties;
- Ability to read and review basic mechanical drawings;
- Experience with the following technologies:
- Embedded real-time systems, including embedded RTOS and Linux ;
- Low-level microcontrollers (MSP430, STM32 or similar);
- Familiar with C;
- Electrical interfaces: serial (UART/RS-232/RS-485);
- Ability to work in an interrupt-driven environment;
- Ability to manage multiple projects and changing priorities;
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process.
- Experience with scientific instrumentation
- Experience with data processing with MATLAB/Python
To apply, you must prepare a cover letter that explains why you want to work at RBR and what you can uniquely contribute to the team. In addition, as part of our screening process, we require you to complete a personality profile questionnaire using this link. http://www.profileperformancesystem.com/survey.html?SL=61472