Shift: Monday thru Friday; with flexibility
Location: Our headquarters in Torrance, CA
Employment Type: Full time
Start Date: ASAP
Blue Robotics specializes in designing and manufacturing underwater robotic components and remotely operated vehicles (ROVs). Our mission is to enable the future of underwater exploration by providing high-performing marine robotics components at an accessible price point. We’re a growing team of 35 people encompassing manufacturing, supply chain, product design, software development, sales, marketing, and support.
We’re looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our established R&D engineering department, including guiding our team, managing our R&D projects, working cross-functionally with our manufacturing and sales departments, and helping us build a great company! You will be working with a dedicated team of people on an exciting product line that helps explorers, researchers, hobbyists, and businesses around the world address ocean-related problems.
Unlike other opportunities, you won’t be “plugging in” to a system that’s been established for decades, but rather be an integral part of creating one at a young company. As Director of Engineering, you’ll oversee the new product development efforts, corrective and preventive action efforts, testing and equipment resources, and our team of awesome humans, who operate both onsite and from remote locations.
You will be the source of truth for day-to-day process or project updates and a mentor to everyone within your department. Through proactive, positive communication you will be able to ensure our team members are aligned and working effectively towards our goals. You will have to balance day-to-day tasks with long-term improvement projects and unexpected urgent issues that come up.
We’re looking for someone with a proven track record of developing and releasing products from the concept idea stage through the prototyping and development phase, the validation process, the transition to manufacturing, and the follow-through on the product’s lifecycle. You will be sharing your experience with our whole team, causing a positive ripple effect into many areas of our business.
Behind our mission of enabling ocean exploration and serving our customers is a goal to build a long-lasting company that is a great place to work. In this role, you will have a critical impact on that goal and we’re looking for someone who can help us foster a friendly, open culture that strives for constant improvement and innovation.
- Lead and support an established R&D team including several engineers and technicians
- Prioritize projects and allocate resources to achieve our goals
- Oversee all R&D staff (onsite and remote) and maintain staffing levels through hiring and employee retention
- Coach, counsel, and develop direct reports
- Create and drive strategies to guide our department decisions and approach
- Manage efforts to implement new processes, tools, and procedures
- Facilitate communication within the R&D team and with other company departments
- Develop and maintain KPIs to monitor performance
- Prepare external publications and reports to be shared broadly with the company and outside the company
- Collaborate cross-functionally to qualify new product designs, transfer them to manufacturing, and implement engineering change orders
- Drive and manage new product development efforts and be accountable for top-level progress and output
- Lead daily engineering standups, biweekly mission-planning meetings, and organizational design meetings
- A bachelor’s degree in an engineering field
- 10+ years of experience in a professional environment
- A demonstrated ability to develop products and bring them to market, including experience with prototyping, manufacturing, supply chain, and validation
- An affinity for communication through verbal and written means
- Strong leadership skills and ability to manage and motivate teams
- Willingness and ability to manage individuals working remotely from multiple locations, as well as on site
- Well-developed time management skills and project planning skills
- Ability to gauge realistic project timelines and work under pressure to achieve deadlines
- Familiarity with Solidworks or similar CAD packages
- Competitive pay
- Flexible scheduling
- Paid vacation and holidays
- 401(k) with 4% matching
- Medical & dental
- Parental leave
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Blue Robotics Education Support Program
- Company lunches and special events
- Gated on-site parking