Teledyne Marine Systems is a member of a group of leading-edge undersea technology companies that have been assembled under the Teledyne Marine umbrella. We include Teledyne Benthos, Teledyne Webb Research and SeaBotix/Oceanscience at Teledyne Marine in North Falmouth MA and Teledyne Gavia in Iceland. Our products include underwater vehicles (both towed and autonomous), acoustic communication systems, and acoustic releases. Teledyne Marine Systems is EveryWhereYouLook!
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Teledyne Marine Systems is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to join our growing development team. This position will involve engineering support for existing products, customizing equipment for new applications, and new product development. The desired applicant will possess a background in mechanical design as well as a working knowledge of software and electrical disciplines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare concepts and detailed electro-mechanical designs for oceanographic instruments and vehicles
- Prepare and revise CAD drawings including parts and assemblies
- Perform hands-on construction of prototypes and accelerated life testing
- Establish operating criteria, conducts experimental tests and evaluate results
- Initiate failure mode investigations, develop corrective actions, and capture learnings
- Create documentation packages for production and customers
- Work with production to transition designs to manufacturing
- Collaborate on teams with managers, peer engineers, and program personnel
- Possess a strong desire for hands-on work with hardware in the lab and in the field
- Candidate must possess U.S. citizenship or be a U.S. Person
- BS Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience in mechanical engineering
- 5-10years in a mechanical design role
- SolidWorks 3D CAD experience, Standard ANSI drafting practices
- Electro-mechanical system design experience
- Familiarity with advanced production methods and tolerance analysis
Job Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret engineering drawings, datasheets, and material specifications
- Clear, effective communication skills and the ability to clearly capture knowledge gained including analyses that describe design trade studies and technical concepts
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office products
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
The physical/mental demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasional travel when required to support equipment and sales opportunities, including overseas (travel will be limited)
- Must be fit for occasional hands-on work, including work in the field and lifting objects with a maximum lift of 50 lbs.
- This position requires periods of working behind a desk, performing tasks on computer
- Significant periods of standing or walking throughout the facility to interface with other associates
- Working in laboratory and office environment