The Field Engineer installs, tests, trains and supports product operations and reports to the Engineering Manager for Kongsberg Underwater Technology in Kongsberg Maritime.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Provide support for mechanical and electrical installation of subsea acoustic systems on ships in drydocks and pier side.
- Provides customer support and training for new and existing customers both in house and in the field.
- Frequent utilization of computer skills for directory structure, hyperterm, and applications.
- Performs routine troubleshooting; visual inspection, use of DVM, basic schematic reading.
- Documents test results with appropriate information in a complete manner and communicate to all required.
- Reads and interprets specific test procedures to properly perform and document test results.
- Performs all job responsibilities in alignment with product quality standards.
- Communicates all design problems and “bugs” to the correct areas within the organization.
- Travel up to 50% to meet client needs.
- Work in the field unsupervised.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Requirements
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED); and two to four years experience as a marine technician or with hydrographic surveying; or equivalent combination of education/training and experience.
- Associates or BS degree in related field is desired.
- Knowledge and experience with basic networking, Microsoft Word; Microsoft Excel; AutoCAD; Orcad and Internet Explorer.
- Position requires extensive domestic and international travel and work aboard offshore vessels.
Certificates And Licenses Required
- Basic knowledge of Ethernet protocol, serial data communication such as NMEA, and ohms law
- Basic electronics technical training
- Valid Driver’s License
- Ability to obtain a US security clearance
- Valid passport
- Must be a US citizen that is able to be cleared at least to the Secret Level
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal including computer literacy.
- Able to handle several activities simultaneously.
- Able to work alone and with a team.
- Good customer support and people skills.
- Able to travel, often at short notice.
- Can troubleshoot systems to board level.
Typical Equipment Utilized And/or Interfacing With
- Electronic testing equipment
- Power supplies
- Various test devices
What We Offer
- A competitive compensation
- Excellent health care benefits, 401k plan, and tuition reimbursement
- A creative and innovative environment where individuals truly make a difference
- Working with state-of-the-art technology and products
- Personal and professional development in an international environment
- Excellent technical and personal challenges
- A team of highly qualified co-workers who are willing to share their knowledge and experience