About the job
Nortek designs, develops and produces scientific instruments that apply the Doppler principle to underwater acoustics in order to measure water in motion, such as currents and waves. We provide truly innovative, robust, and accurate instruments, backed up by advanced software and comprehensive support to ensure customers maximize value from their measurements. Our solutions make a big difference.
Nortek’s product portfolio ranges from wave measurement systems to single-point turbulence sensors and oceanic current profilers. Our product range covers four themes: ocean waves, ocean currents, turbulent flow and subsea navigation. These instruments are used by scientists, researchers and engineers at renowned institutions and government agencies worldwide.
Sales Engineers – Oceanographic are critically needed to maintain Nortek’s traditional attentive client support and interactive business model. The ideal candidate will be excited about the ocean, coastal sciences, or marine biology. They are energetic and focused on finding users that can benefit from new technology. They will have a genuine interest in seeing clients succeed, their work publicized, and being a part of pushing the envelope in ocean research and operations. They should also enjoy speaking with prospects, traveling domestically and abroad, organizing demonstrations and workshops (after training), and working with their colleagues to come up with new ideas and make things happen.
Located in the Innovation and Design Building in Boston’s booming Seaport District, the North American office features neighbors in various sectors of technological development, easy access to public transportation, discounted Reebok Gym membership, several new eateries, and frequent social events.
The ideal candidate should have prior experience that includes:
- Three to five years technical sales experience OR work experience in the subsea market, oceanography, and sales DNA
- Interacting with scientists, engineers, and senior sales or marketing executives
- A genuine interest in fields such as: oceanography, coastal engineering, marine science, fisheries, subsea vehicles, or hydraulic laboratories.
- A Bachelors or Masters degree in a science or engineering field OR a marketing, business, or communications degree with experience working for a subsea related industry
Additional experience should include strong capabilities in the areas of:
- Prospecting for and qualifying new business
- Relaying complex technical information
- Distinguishing a product from an established competitor
- Communicating the value proposition
- Public speaking and presenting to technical audiences at conferences, customers at their places of business, or small workshops
- US citizenship
- Valid driver’s license and willingness to travel 25% or more. The position involves visiting clients at their location throughout North America
- Professional demeanor, team-minded attitude, and genuine interest in client success
- Openness to feedback and professional development
Training and Development:
Nortek offers a comprehensive training program and ongoing development opportunities including:
- Product training (time depending on experience level) at company headquarters in Oslo, Norway
- Formal external sales training seminars and coaching
- Sales trips with senior employees
Employee benefits include:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- 401k with matching contributions
- 15 days paid vacation upon hire (20 after 3 years), 12 holidays, and sick leave
- International work experience, while enjoying the work-life balance cherished by a Scandinavian company with Norwegian roots.