TITLE: Lab Technician
REPORTS TO: Courtney Benson
LOCATION: San Diego, CA
Document Date: 12/17/21
BlueNalu, Inc. is a fast-growing, San Diego-based company that is pioneering the production of seafood products derived directly from fish cells. Using proprietary cell biology techniques and engineering processes, BlueNalu’s platform technology can produce a wide array of value-added seafood products, that are healthy for people, humane for animals, and sustainable for the planet.
The Lab Technician will be based at the company’s office(s) in San Diego, CA. This role will work to support R&D with some Quality Assurance functions, focusing on basic lab duties, including procurement, inventory stocking, general lab maintenance, and quality assurance checks. Candidates should have a baseline understanding of how a laboratory functions. Successful candidates will join a high-performance and fast-paced team where everybody’s contribution is equally important.
Candidates should be highly motivated, organized, proactive, and have excellent communication skills.
- Stock workstations and lab items daily
- Inventory maintenance and organization
- Order items kept regularly in stock, as well as process purchases from other team members
(through our procurement system)
- Basic equipment maintenance and calibration
- Maintain a clean and organized lab environment
- Perform other lab duties as necessary
- Support verification activities related to SQF such as: o Program verification and validation activities o Sanitation log verifications o Support routine GLP audits
- Conduct routine water quality monitoring and aseptic sampling
- Support sanitation verification programs
- Work cross-functionally with R&D and Quality Assurance to successfully perform these duties
Job Supervised (by title):
Associate Director, Cell Line Development
Up to 50% travel between two facilities within 1 mile radius.
Document Number: RF.OP.NRD.001.A
Approved: Page 1 of 3
- B.S. in Biology, Biotechnology, or equivalent
- Applicants with a B.S. and 0-2 years of industry experience working in a manufacturing or lab facility are preferred
- Adept at time management
- Performs work independently and as part of a team to achieve company goals
- Initiative to solve problems and ability to multitask
- Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility to switch focus as needed to meet company goals
- Works effectively and communicates well in a team environment
- Basic understanding of microbiological and chemistry testing procedures
- Basic understanding of laboratory testing equipment
- Sense of humor
- GMP training
- GLP training
- HACCP training
- SQF training
- Local and federal safety regulations such as Cal/OSHA, California EPA, California health and safety code, Chemical safety training, etc.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used:
- Office machinery including computers, printers, copiers, etc.
- Microsoft Office Suite and other computer systems.
- Basic lab equipment such as pH meters, scale
Working Environment / Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations.
- Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
- Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position.
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to give, to receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans and prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans.
- Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work with and directly handle products containing Major US Allergens and sensitizing agents such as fish, soy, and shellfish.
- Able to carry up to 50 lbs.
- On site laboratory, requires exposure to machines, chemicals, and solvents.
Document Number: RF.OP.NRD.001.A
Approved: Page 2 of 3
- Flexibility to work weekends/nights as needed
BlueNalu, Inc. provides an attractive compensation and benefits package. All applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Company. BlueNalu, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but quickly growing company where everybody’s contribution is equally important. BlueNalu is seeking team players that are driven, focused, creative, proactive and productive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. We are also seeking team members that enjoy and thrive in the atmosphere of a very fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have a good sense of humor, and are personally motivated to make a difference to humanity and our planet.
To learn more, visit: www.bluenalu.com
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
All employees and vendors are required to wear masks in our facilities. We take COVID-19 very seriously and adhere to local and federal regulations and requirements.
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- lab: 1 year (Preferred)
- laboratory testing equipment: 1 year (Preferred)
- microbiological and chemistry testing procedures: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location