We are currently recruiting an Environmental Specialist III for a federal contract we are bidding on in support of Endangered Species Act Section 7 Consultation Support for the Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office (GARFO). This position will start in fall of 2022 and is a one-year contract with the possibility of up to three one-year contract extensions.
If you would love the opportunity to positively impact fishery environments and have experience analyzing data to determine risk and develop risk mitigation plans, this may be a position for you. This job will be located at GARFO in Gloucester, MA. There is also opportunity to work at a mutually agreed upon remote work site. The selected candidate will support the Protected Resources Division (PRD) in carrying out tasks associated with consideration of the effects of offshore wind energy and other related resource development projects on ESA listed species
Our ideal candidate would be someone with experience in identifying, evaluating, and working to mitigate adverse impacts of energy development projects on endangered species and critical habitats. Experience working with offshore wind, hydropower, and associated transmission systems is a plus. This candidate’s work will be guided largely by requirements of the ESA, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and NEPA, and must have experience working under these requirements.
- Assist with the assessment of ongoing and new federal activities on listed species and critical habitat, focusing on energy development including offshore wind and hydropower and associated transmission systems.
- Develop white papers to support analyses of effects of existing, emerging, and new technologies.
- Assist in project review and preparation of documents to support required environmental analyses.
- Research best management practices designed to minimize and monitor effects of Federal actions on ESA listed species and critical habitat.
- Assist in creating NEPA documents including providing technical assistance, letters of concurrence, and sections of biological opinions.
- Assist in reviewing the effects of hydropower licenses under the requirements of the Federal Power Act.