BlueNalu, Inc. is a fast-growing, San Diego-based company that is pioneering the production of seafood products derived directly from fish cells. Using proprietary cell biology techniques and engineering processes, BlueNalu’s platform technology can produce a wide array of value-added seafood products, that are healthy for people, humane for animals, and sustainable for the planet.
The Research Assistant will be based at the company’s office(s) in San Diego, CA. The Research Assistant will work with BlueNalu’s process development team as well as other team members to help run and develop bioreactor operations for growth of fish cells. This individual will work cross-functionally with R&D, Quality, Operations, and other functional areas as needed to transfer bioprocesses from the bench to manufacturing scale.
· Assist in the execution of experiments to optimize culture yield and efficiency.
· Maintain and operate a wide range of bench-scale bioreactors.
· Maintain and operate wide range of equipment used for both in-process as well as offline sample analytics.
· Assist in large- and small-scale media preparation for bioreactor operation.
· Manage lab operations, including organization, cleaning, and stocking.
· Follow good documentation practices including recording activities and all corrective actions taken when deviations were observed.
· Follow standard operating procedures and adhere to all safety and company policies.
Jobs Supervised (by title):
- Senior Bioprocess Engineer
- ·Less than 5%
- · Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field (chemical engineering, biology, chemistry, bioengineering, or biochemistry).
- · Self-driven, performance/results-oriented with excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- · Must have prior experience running bioreactors and aseptic technique required for cell culture.
- · Must be able to demonstrate proficiency in preparation of raw materials for cell-culture media and chemicals and proper handling.
- Flexibility to work rotating weekend shift.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
Materials and Equipment Directly Used:
- · Office machinery including computers, printers, copiers, etc.
- · Microsoft Office Suite and related computer systems.
- · Basic lab equipment such as pH meters, weigh scales, mixing and separation equipment etc.
Working Environment / Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations.
- Must be mentally adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
- Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position.
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to give, to receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans and prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans.
- Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively.
- Ability to work with and directly handle products containing Major US Allergens and sensitizing agents such as fish, soy, and shellfish.
- Able to carry up to 50 lbs.
- On site laboratory, requires exposure to machines, chemicals, and solvents.
BlueNalu, Inc. provides an attractive compensation and benefits package. All applicants must be authorized to work in the US, and willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Company. BlueNalu, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but quickly growing company where everybody’s contribution is equally important. BlueNalu is seeking team players that are driven, focused, creative, proactive and productive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. We are also seeking team members that enjoy and thrive in the atmosphere of a very fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have a good sense of humor, and are personally motivated to make a difference to humanity and our planet.
To learn more, visit: www.bluenalu.com
Job Type: Full-time
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
We take safety and the health of our staff very seriously at BlueNalu. All staff and visitors are not permitted to enter our offices if feeling sick with cold or flu-like symptoms.
Ability to commute/relocate:
- San Diego, CA 92121: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- biology, chemical engineering, or bioengineering: 1 year (Required)
- raw materials for cell-culture media: 1 year (Required)
- running bioreactors and aseptic technique for cell culture: 1 year (Required)
- English (Required)
Work Location: One location