About the job
BlueNalu, Inc. is a fast-growing, San Diego-based company that is pioneering the production of seafood products derived directly from fish cells. Using proprietary cell biology techniques and engineering processes, BlueNalu’s platform technology can produce a wide array of value-added seafood products, that are healthy for people, humane for animals, and sustainable for the planet. Our products will contain no mercury, microplastics or other contaminants.
The core responsibility of this position is to develop and optimize scalable upstream technologies that will be critical for seafood cell culture. This role will focus specifically on operating bioprocess equipment at all scales particularly in pilot plant and optimizing process needs to effectively scale the bioprocess towards manufacturing. Candidates should have expertise in cell culture and media formulations including project planning and execution, experimental designs, problem solving, statistical analysis, and communication of results. This position will require significant subject matter expertise and hands-on laboratory work. This position reports directly to the Sr. Bioprocess Engineer.
- Independently operate bench-scale and pilot-scale bioprocess or fermentation equipment to facilitate seafood cell culture.
- Troubleshoot and maintain the equipment for continued operation to facilitate bioprocess development and scale-up.
- Independently design and execute studies for development and optimization of bioprocess towards company goals.
- Evaluate new and existing bioprocess technologies, methods, and equipment with emphasis on scale-up and optimization of cell culture.
- Develop specifications, procedures, and testing protocols as required for bioprocess development and validation.
- Work cross-functionally with R&D, Engineering, Quality, and Manufacturing to successfully transfer SOPs and formulations that meet target specifications.
- Manage day-to-day bioprocess team activities and provide regular updates to the project team and management on project timelines and deliverables.
- Preparation of invention disclosures and other IP documentation as required.
- Some weekend work may be required.
Jobs Supervised (by title):
- Sr. Bioprocess Engineer
- As required from time to time
- B.S with more than 3 years’ experience or MS with more than 1 year experience, in Chemical Engineering, or equivalent
- Proficiency in operating and developing experimental designs on pilot-scale bioreactors for cell culture with demonstrated expertise in scaling up technology to manufacturing.
- Hands-on experience with bench-scale bioreactor or fermentation systems with ability to independently operate and optimize the cell culture.
- Experience developing procedural documentation and technology transfer protocols for bioreactors or fermenters especially related to cell culture.
- Experience working in a GMP environment (and related processes and documentation) is highly preferred.
- Demonstrated strong background to lead technically-driven projects, and ability to effectively work in cross functional teams, meet deadlines, and prioritize multiple projects.
- Use of DOE and related software to design and analyze experiments.
- Accurately summarize, interpret, and review experimental data with adequate computer skills for data acquisition, data management and visualization of experimental results.
- High level of initiative to solve problems and ability to multitask.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and organizational skills, with impeccable attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor or manage small teams will be preferred especially at
- Engineer II level.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States.
Working Environment / Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of
those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the
- Ability to work in research and pilot plant environment.
- Requires sitting and standing, bending, stooping and climbing.
- Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, calculator, and laboratory equipment.
- Requires normal range of hearing and vision (including colors) to record, prepare and communicate appropriate reports and laboratory results.
- Requires lifting up to 50 pounds (or up to 80 pounds with help of support systems).
- Requires exposure to machines, chemicals and solvents.
- No makeup, or jewelry can be worn when working in cleanroom environments.
- Required flexibility to meet gowning procedures for cleanroom environments.
- Ability to work 8-hour shifts including overtime, along with possible weekends and evenings.
- Must understand vague and implicit instructions and react favorably in all work situations.
- Must be adaptable and flexible in dealing with a variety of people.
- Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position.
- Must be able to resolve problems, handle conflict and make decisions under pressure.
- Ability to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans, and prepare written materials, and articulate goals and action plans.
- Must understand people and be able to communicate effectively.
- Ability to do basic math calculations, input data into a computer, and analyze data is required.
- Ability to work with and directly handle products containing Major US Allergens and sensitizing agents such as fish and soy.
BlueNalu, Inc. provides an attractive compensation and benefits package. All applicants must be
authorized to work in the US, and willing and able to work a flexible work schedule to meet the needs of the Company. BlueNalu, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. This is an excellent opportunity to join a small but quickly growing company where everybody’s contribution is equally important. BlueNalu is seeking team players that are driven, focused, creative, proactive and productive, with excellent written and verbal communication skills, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills. We are also seeking team members that enjoy and thrive in the atmosphere of a very fast-paced entrepreneurial environment, have a good sense of humor, and are personally motivated to make a difference to humanity and our planet.
To learn more, visit: www.bluenalu.com