Sequoia Scientific, Inc. is looking for a US W-coast based salesperson to handle and increase all our direct LISST and Hyper-bb sales W of Mississippi. Sequoia is a leading environmental instrumentation manufacturer working predominantly in marine and freshwater science, as well as some defense, industrial and environmental applications. Our submersible sensors and technology are mainly based on light scattering and/or light transmission. Scientists around the world use our instruments daily to better understand our oceans and rivers.
Reporting to our Bellevue, WA-based sales manager you will increase Sequoia’s US West coast sales by:
- Using our marketing material and case studies to effectively communicate the advantage of our product portfolio to existing and potential customers.
- Proactively prospect and expand our existing west coast customer base.
- Identifying key accounts for repeat business.
- Maintaining a high level of activity with respect to video-/in-person meetings, phone calls, email and quoting activities.
- Effectively use our CRM system to continuously keep leads, opportunities, realistic pipeline and quotes up to date.
- Travelling domestically (mostly W of Mississippi) to meet with customers and/or attend tradeshows 6-12 times / year and internationally 0-2 times / year.
- Assisting other staff in understanding ocean science principles and communicating the advantages of our instruments to potential customers.
- Other ad hoc tasks as they develop in a small company.
- Are a born salesperson.
- Are a team player with a glass-half-full personality: Sequoia is a small business (16 employees) and we have no time or space for egos or negativity.
- Have an M.Sc. in oceanography or ocean-related science (or equivalent experience) ideally with focus on biogeochemistry, aquatic optics, geological oceanography, physics or suspended particle dynamics, and a few publications to show for it.
- Have been to sea on research cruises and/or in the field (e.g., near shore, coastal, estuarine, riverine or limnological field work) and know what it is like to handle and deploy instruments at sea / in the field.
- Might even have experience with Sequoia’s LISSTs or Hyper-bb instruments.
- Are very intimately familiar with scientific jargon and principles as they pertain to ocean science and can explain scientific and technical principles to a wide audience, from B.Sc.’s to professors.
- Can grasp and learn new technical and scientific principles easily. This is probably exemplified by the wide range of scientific instruments you have experience deploying, recovering, data processing, QC’ing, analyzing and writing about.
- Have great writing and communication skills and are patient, organized, structured and reliable.
- May have experience with CRM and ERP systems – Microsoft Dynamics 365 CRM and Dynamics 365 Business Central in particular. But if not, you have absolutely no problem learning new software and systems.
- Have passed the LinkedIn skills assessment in MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
This position can be remote but based somewhere in the US West of the Mississippi River. Continued employment in this position is contingent upon maintaining residence W of the Mississippi River. The position can also be hybrid, in which case you’ll be in our Bellevue, WA office Tue-Thu and have the option to work from home Mon and Fri. Should you desire to relocate to WA for this position, Sequoia will provide relocation assistance.
Salary range $75K – $120K depending on education and experience. Salary can alternatively be based on uncapped commission; in which case the base salary would be in a lower range. Note: Your exact territory will depend on where you reside; WA state will be excluded from your territory if you reside outside of WA state.
Profit share and comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance (paid 100% for employee, 60% for dependents), 401(k) w/ 4% match after three months of employment, four weeks of PTO (incl. 52 hours of paid sick time), 12 paid holidays annually, long- and short-term disability, worker’s comp.
Include a 1-page (max) cover letter with your resume that specifically addresses your sales and science skills.