At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, protect, and preserve our world. We provide real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and use proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Our fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate without the need for a crewed support vessel. Saildrone works with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing into the eye of a category 4 hurricane to obtain new data about how storms intensify, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, and counting fish biomass to inform sustainable fishery management, to mapping the ocean floor and reducing illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, Saildrone has been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the World’s Most Innovative Companies, earned an Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, won Best Tech For Good from the Timmy Awards, and was recognized by Andreessen Horowitz’s American Dynamism 50 list of the Top 50 Companies Kickstarting American Renewal. Our first-annual Atlantic hurricane mission with NOAA was included as one of The New York Times’ 21 Things That Happened for the First Time in 2021 and Popular Science’s 100 Greatest Innovations of 2021.
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC and St. Petersburg, FL, and operate our missions worldwide. Saildrone is backed by top-tier investors in the frontier tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
We are looking for a high performing individual to join Saildrone’s Vehicle Operations team in the Arabian Gulf States region. You will be joining a talented, collaborative team at the forefront of exciting new ventures in the autonomous vehicle space. The key functions of this role include:
- Drone deployment/retrieval in locations around the globe including remote locations
- Logistics of shipping drones
- Driving forklifts, lifting machines, crane operation
- Creative problem solving on location, drone assembly, troubleshooting, coordination with Mission Control team
- Excellent communicator, team player, budget conscious, adapt to issues in the field, deliver on schedule, and interact with customers (scientists, commercial)
- Health and Safety conscious
- Ability to work independently and with a team, a self starter
- Experience Driving 30+ ft twin-engine powerboat(s) with vehicles in tow, experience at sea
- Quarterly trips to Saildrone HQ in Alameda, California, USA
- Sailing experience, a big plus
- Ability to travel to remote locations both domestic and international on short notice
- Assemble, QC check, test, and commission drones as needed in locations in the Arabian Gulf States region and while on remote deployments/retrievals. This includes working alongside other Saildrone functional groups in the field
- Organize and maintain the Saildrone inventory and equipment in the Arabian Gulf States region
- Water operations and maintenance of support vessel and all related marine operations equipment assistance – tenders, docks and launch tools (crane/forklift)
- Operation and maintenance of Saildrone fleet assets, prototypes and associated instruments, sensors and equipment
- Ability to help organize and coordinate remote operations, including contractors, maritime contractors, equipment rentals, charter boats, marinas and boatyards
- Assistance with ocean testing and evaluation as well as integration support for internal & external customers
- Assist with the coordination, development, and execution of the Saildrone Operator Training Program conducted both on-site and at remote locations worldwide
- Participate in and lead ongoing community outreach programs with local and regional partners
- Operation and development of a Saildrone’s systems by providing valuable feedback to internal teams
- Participate in customer demonstrations for VIPs, for both internal and external customers
- Apply health, security, safety and environmental (HSSE) best practices in all operational work
Required Skills and Experience
- 5-10 yrs minimum experience in marine engineering, marine operations, and leadership roles
- Experience with marine technology, autonomous systems, and ocean robotics
- Familiarity with maritime best practices
- Ability to operate a small, twin engine vessel (under 30’) and follow all COLREGS
- Have or ability to obtain and hold a U.S. Security Clearance
- Have or ability to obtain a Boater Safety Education ID Card, USCG Masters license, or applicable boating license for waters in the Arabian Gulf States region
- Highly motivated and organized self-starter
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Exposure with small companies or startups is ideal, an entrepreneurial spirit is essential
- Ability to travel in the region and internationally as required
- A love for the ocean and technology
- 90% travel required
Desired Skills and Experience
- BS in Mechanical, Electrical, Marine, or Ocean Engineering a plus
- Written and conversational fluency in Arabic language is desired
- Work is performed on a computer and requires ability to operate a keyboard and other peripheral devices. Required travel can include vehicle, train, or airplane as modes of transportation. Must be able to stand, walk, use hands to grasp, push and pull, bend, lift, and reach with your hands and arms. Must be able to lift up to 51 pounds.
Location: Remote in the Arabian Gulf States region.