Seeking a Full-time Program Manager
Program Manager Full-time, salaried position
Class A office building on the water in Liberty Station 2877 Historic Decatur, Suite 300
San Diego, CA 92106
$45,000 – $55,000 depending on experience, with negotiable benefits
Able to start the week of February 26, 2018 or the week of March 26, 2018
The Maritime Alliance (TMA) is a nonprofit 501c6 industry association and organizer for the largest and most active ocean and water technology cluster in the United States. Its mission is “Promoting Sustainable, Science-Based Ocean and Water Industries” and it is a proud founding member of the BlueTech Cluster Alliance, which is made up of 9 leading BlueTech clusters from 7 countries (Canada, Ireland, France, Portugal, Spain, U.K and U.S.A.).
Now in its 12th year, TMA has over 85 regional and international members. It focuses on economic development, business ecosystem development and workforce development by bringing together academia, industry and policy makers to Promote BlueTech and Blue Jobs®.
TMA is seeking a motivated, full-time Program Manager to join our small team in Class A office space on the water in Liberty Station to help with our expanding programs related to education and workforce development, event coordination, membership relations and international collaboration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Education, Global Studies, International Affairs, or related field
- Highly motivated self-starter willing to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial professional environment
- Entry Level with relevant internship or volunteer experience; 2-3 years of academic or industry experience
preferred and a passion for ocean and water industries
- Excellent communication skills and attention to detail
- Collaborative, dependable, ethical, high integrity, and a strong work ethic
- Experience working with education partners either developing curriculum, collaborating with industry or
interacting with students to encourage STEM experiential learning and career pathways
- Experience developing and updating websites on Squarespace, for example
- Event planning
- Proficiency with database record keeping, Microsoft Office and online newsletters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; fluency in Spanish is highly valued
- Working knowledge of BlueTech sectors and the marine or maritime sectors, also known as the Blue
Economy, is a plus.
- Experience using Esri GIS software, such as Story Maps, is a plus
The ideal candidate understands the need to balance conservation and economic development and has a passion for helping to develop the “Blue Economy Workforce of Tomorrow.” We are looking for somebody who enjoys working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment and is motivated to work collaboratively to translate the workforce development needs of industry into meaningful, metrics-based programs for students, schools and other stakeholders. A working knowledge of Blue Economy industry sectors is ideal, but we are open to hiring somebody with excellent communication and listening skills who can learn on the job quickly and would like to help grow the impact of TMA.
Under general supervision of the Executive Director, the candidate will be evaluated annually on performance in the following areas.
60% Education, Workforce Development and Jobs
- In partnership with MiraCosta College and its Technical Career Institute, provide outreach to industry, parents, students and teachers to promote consortium programs
- Coordinate the development of 6-8 short videos per year, working with a contracted videographer, that highlight workers and career pathways in different Blue Economy sectors
- In partnership with the San Diego Unified School District and other organizations, help develop and support a pilot Blue Economy CTE Career Pathway for grades 6-12 including curriculum development, arranging industry guest speakers, teacher externships and student internships
- Coordinate with international cluster partners and other regions on job training programs and resources
- Organize quarterly OceanSTEM events to highlight career opportunities
- Develop and manage a web-based Jobs Portal for TMA members that lists job openings, highlights career pathway videos, education requirements and resources available to job-
20% Event Coordination
- Assist with event planning and on-site logistics for conferences, seminars, and trade shows
- Help select and manage volunteers
- Work the Office Manager to coordinate event sponsor invoicing, payments and ticket
10% Membership Relations
• Help manage a growing list of corporate members in San Diego and internationally, including regular renewal notices, member information, database record keeping, member invoicing, and member communications
Position requires up to 50% travel in the region during any given month, with possible out-of-country travel. Must have a valid California Driver’s License and access to a reliable personal vehicle. Must be able to lift 20 pounds.
To apply, please send your resume and a cover letter to TMA Executive Director, Greg Murphy at GRMurphy@themaritimealliance.org by Thursday, February 15th at 11:59pm.