Full Stack Software Engineer
BROOKLYN, NY /
CLOUD DATA PLATFORM TEAM /
Bedrock is operationalizing the largest Earth-exploration mission in human history. We’re doing that by developing robotics & software to explore, map, and classify the entirety of Earth’s ocean floor. The oceans are a critical component of climate stabilization. Our hope is to provide critical subsea data and infrastructure to further understand and predict the fundamental forces that support harmonious human existence on this planet.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help build the foundation of our subsea data web application and early software team.
Right now, subsea surveying is managed by people. If we want to map the entire ocean floor, we need subsea surveying to be managed by software. The current state of subsea surveys and the data they produce make this equally a software problem as it is a hardware problem.
Furthermore, The way the marine hydrographic and geophysical data is managed & used today is fundamentally not optimized for the world we live in. While cloud GIS software does exist, most of the tools used to make sense of it specifically for subsea geophysical applications are not cloud-native. That means everything from the way this data is stored, processed, viewed, all the way to analyzed and made available to the world could be dramatically improved.
We live in a one-off subsea survey world. If you want data today, you have to fund a survey expedition. We need to stop multiple collections of subsea data from the same areas on a per-unique job basis. To accomplish this dramatic transition we need to create a new cloud-based software platform to unlock the potential of new technology & infrastructure on this enormously valuable and necessary dataset.
Similarly, when we thought about what we need to build to effectively manage our own subsea data internally, we were shocked by the results – nothing really existed on the market. We need a talented full-stack software engineer to help build out the early production-ready product.
We’re looking for more than a cloud software engineer. This person will be a critical and influential early team member, working directly with the founders (product leaning + robotics leaning) and the Head of Cloud Software Engineering to build a new-age subsea data management software system. On top of strong technical skills, we’ll be looking for a great partner to us both. You’ll be responsible for everything cloud software, the main OS of Bedrock’s operation.
What to expect
In 1st month
– Internal Training, familiarize with process, procedure, culture, core mission values, and sharing your experience and perspectives – first opinions.
– Perform trade study to compare existing architecture with your analysis, creating new version of end to end architecture.
– Detailed design, definitions, and justification of data structures that will serve as the baseline given new architecture.
– Work with each engineering team to understand their goals and requirements to gain relevance and insight to understand big picture
– Demo front end prototype for user experience feedback.
– Complete project plan according to MVP build
In 3 months
– Complete several rapid iterations between engineering teams.
– Load-tested infrastructure, data paths, cloud services.
– Complete MVP.
– Integration with hardware platform testing, completion of robot-to-user end-to-end connection.
– Build up data processing pipeline and database strategy to integrate machine learning capability.
In 6 months
– Full hardware, and end user in the loop testing on a local short range platform.
– Build up data visualization tools for analysis (web end and robot end)
– Integration and data processing in the cloud from live hardware.
– Test data ingestion, processing and analysis tools for sea trial operation.
– Prototype of location agnostic command center (global) with hardware in-the-loop.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
Demonstration of a delivered product.
Who is the best person for the job?
- Has experience building big-data web applications from the ground up.
- Has a lean mentality around building software.
- Calculatedly scrappy and clever with problem-solving.
- Strong empathy, who can self-manage in a hectic and constantly changing environment.
- Has a balance of technical perfection and speed of development.
- Lover of the ocean and has an insatiable desire for adventure and exploration.
- Doesn’t mind the last 5% of a project.
- Welcomes the opportunity of ownership and responsibility.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, be self-directed, and well-versed in systems architecture best practices and research.
- Fluency in C++ and Python2+ years of industry experience developing software for high-performance or mission-critical applications.
- 2+ years of experience developing scalable and secure distributed applications.
- Experience with all levels of stack (database, frontend, backend/systems).
- Experience with cloud platforms and cloud-based services, e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with databases (MySQL, etc).
- Experience with transporting and streaming large volumes of data over an unstable connection with error correction, etc.
- Experience with containerized applications and virtual machines.
- Experience with IoT hardware pipeline through web visualization.
- Experience with data pipelines and end-to-end machine learning workflows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
This is an equity-heavy position and looking for strong personal alignment on equity desire.
Additional Benefits: 75% medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage.
Explore the last true frontier left on Earth with us
We’re seeking ultra-determined people who aren’t afraid to pioneer new solutions and challenge conventional assumptions. Most of all, we’re looking for high-quality, good human beings with low egos.
Bedrock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bedrock determines employment on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.