Head of Cloud Software Engineering
BROOKLYN, NY /
CLOUD DATA PLATFORM TEAM /
Bedrock is operationalizing the largest Earth-exploration mission in human history. We’re doing that by developing robotics & software to explore, map, and classify the entirety of Earth’s ocean floor. The oceans are a critical component of climate stabilization. Our hope is to provide critical subsea data and infrastructure to further understand and predict the fundamental forces that support harmonious human existence on this planet.
We’re looking for an experienced software engineer to help build the foundation of our subsea data web application and early software team.
Right now, subsea surveying is managed by people. If we want to map the entire ocean floor, we need subsea surveying to be managed by software. The current state of subsea surveys and the data they produce make this equally a software problem as it is a hardware problem.
Furthermore, The way the marine hydrographic and geophysical data is managed & used today is fundamentally not optimized for the world we live in. While cloud GIS software does exist, most of the tools used to make sense of it specifically for subsea geophysical applications are not cloud-native. That means everything from the way this data is stored, processed, viewed, all the way to analyzed and made available to the world could be dramatically improved.
We live in a one-off subsea survey world. If you want data today, you have to fund a survey expedition. We need to stop multiple collections of subsea data from the same areas on a per-unique job basis. To accomplish this dramatic transition we need to create a new cloud-based system to unlock the potential of new technology on this enormously valuable dataset – which no organization on this planet currently has anywhere near a complete set of.
Think of an encyclopedia but for the oceans. Similarly, when we thought about what we need to build to effectively manage our own subsea data internally, we were shocked by the results – nothing really existed on the market. We need a talented engineer to help build and manage this part of the engineering organization.
We’re looking for more than a cloud software engineer. This person will be a critical and influential early team member, working directly with the founders (product leaning + robotics leaning) to build a new-age subsea data management software system. On top of strong technical skills, we’ll be looking for a great partner to us both. You’ll be responsible for everything cloud software, the main OS of Bedrock’s operation.
What to expect
In 1st month
– Complete a technical overview of the existing tools and frameworks that we can use to quickly bring an MVP to market.
– Familiarize yourself with the existing subsea data we already have (from NOAA)
In 3 months
– Have completed an MVP that we can use as a testbed for further customer discovery and product development- Using NOAA data in the cloud.
– Helped hire another software engineer.
In 6 months
– Data pipeline created to accept data from AUVs
– Have a fully functioning (sellable) cloud solution.
– Work on commercializing cloud-native processing out a leading research laboratory.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or equivalent experience.
Demonstration of a delivered product.
Who is the best person for the job?
- If this sounds like you.
- Has deep experience building big-data web applications from the ground up.
- Has a lean mentality around building software.
- Calculatedly scrappy and clever with problem-solving.
- Strong empathy, who can self-manage in a hectic and constantly changing environment.
- Has a balance of technical perfection and speed of development.
- Lover of the ocean and has an insatiable desire for adventure and exploration.
- Doesn’t mind the last 5% of a project.
- Welcomes the opportunity of ownership and responsibility.
- Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced environment, be self-directed, and well-versed in systems architecture best practices and research.
- Fluency in C++ and Python2+ years of industry experience developing software for high-performance or mission-critical applications.
- 5+ years of experience developing scalable and secure distributed applications.
- Experience with all levels of stack (database, frontend, backend/systems).
- Experience with cloud platforms and cloud-based services, e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with databases (MySQL, etc).
- Experience with transporting and streaming large volumes of data over an unstable connection with error correction, etc.
- Experience with containerized applications and virtual machines.
- Experience with IoT hardware pipeline through web visualization.
- Experience with data pipelines and end-to-end machine learning workflows.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Attention to detail.
This is an equity-heavy position and looking for strong personal alignment on equity desire.
Additional Benefits: 75% medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage.
Explore the last true frontier left on Earth with us
We’re seeking ultra-determined people who aren’t afraid to pioneer new solutions and challenge conventional assumptions. Most of all, we’re looking for high-quality, good human beings with low egos.
Bedrock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bedrock determines employment on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.