About the job
Bedrock is operationalizing the largest Earth-exploration mission in human history. We’re doing that by developing robotics & software to explore, map, and classify the entirety of Earth’s ocean floor. The oceans are a critical component of climate stabilization. Our hope is to provide critical subsea data and infrastructure to further understand and predict the fundamental forces that support harmonious human existence on this planet.
We are looking for a well-rounded, experienced operations technician to support our expanding Robotics team based out of our Richmond, CA office. As the trusted right-hand to the CTO and Co-Founder, you will work on a variety of high-impact tasks and help drive overall operational efficiency. You will also work alongside a Mechanical Engineer, Robotics Engineer, and Robotics Software Engineer.
- Experience managing vendors, budgets, and purchasing
- Experience with operating drones and/or robots, ideally AUVs
- Ability to operate or assist with: fork lift, boats, trucks, towing, boat launches (ramp and crane)
- Ability to maintain upkeep of boats, trailers, engines, tooling, test tanks, and other equipment
Mechanical & Electrical
- Strong metal work and mechanical fabrication skills, can demonstrate creativity with few resources
- Experience with various builds: jig fabrication, tig/mig welding, composite work, metal working, woodworking, 3D printing, etc.
- Experience with harnessing and cable building, debugging, soldering, crimping, splicing, potting, routing, field repairs
- Knowledge of basic electronics tools and instruments, with ability to read electrical schematics
- Experience with electric motor and actuator systems
You’re a highly organized individual who thrives in a hands-on environment. You are equipped with plenty of outdoor and machinery experience, and excel at thinking on your feet. Most importantly, you leave your ego at the door, mission focused in austere environments. You absolutely, love what you do, and aligned to make a difference in our world.
- Self-starter, able to work independently
- Detail oriented and results-driven; able to get things done creatively in imperfect scenarios
- Highly adaptable to rapid, changing environments with limited instruction
- Not afraid to ask questions; you understand the ramifications of incomplete assumptions
- Can properly assess time-critical decisions and understand tradeoffs
This is a physically active role that will require the following characteristics:
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs independently
- Visual: Near, far, peripheral, depth perception, and ability to distinguish basic colors
- Auditory: Hear and respond to instructions, communicate effectively in loud areas (pier/dock, warehouse)
- Will be exposed to dust or other irritants and electrical/mechanical/power equipment hazards/ heavy machinery
- Other physical tasks include occasional prolonged standing/walking, reaching above and below the shoulders, pushing, pulling, kneeling, bending, twisting, and stooping
- Expect to be traveling for periods of time for survey operations and robot deployment growing from 15% to as needed over the next few years
Benefits & Compensation
We offer a competitive package that includes 75% medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage.
Explore the last true frontier left on Earth with us
We’re seeking ultra-determined people who aren’t afraid to pioneer new solutions and challenge conventional assumptions. Most of all, we’re looking for high-quality, good human beings with low egos.
Bedrock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Bedrock determines employment on the basis of merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, color, religion, gender, national origin/ethnicity, veteran status, disability status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.