Blue Robotics is a small and rapidly growing company that manufactures marine robotics components and systems.
As a Test Engineer at Blue Robotics, your work will have a clear and tangible impact on the quality of our products. You will collaborate with cross-functional teams composed of R&D engineers, manufacturing engineers, and sales personnel to develop and execute the strategies and procedures needed for product validation. You will also be responsible for designing, using, and maintaining the equipment, fixtures, and systems required to perform testing in the lab and in the field.
Unlike other engineering opportunities, you won’t be “plugging in” to a system that has been established for decades, but rather be an integral part of creating one at a young company. Your typical day will vary. Early in the development process, you are working closely with R&D engineers, assisting them in making data-driven decisions while they iterate on their designs. In the transition to a new product launch, you are working with our manufacturing team to maintain the integrity of our validation process and timeline. You are continually leading the company’s test and validation efforts while growing our capabilities through equipment improvements, fixture design, and utilizing your mechatronics background to increase automation.
- Maintaining and developing testing equipment. This includes electrical system designs and installations, software, UI, and firmware development and troubleshooting.
- Creating DVP&R documents and developing internal test standards and procedures.
- Working with product development teams to determine product testing parameters.
- Managing, planning, and performing tests prior to analyzing and post-processing results for use in reports and recommendations to stakeholders.
- Designing specialized and/or automated testing equipment and fixtures.
- Working to develop new testing standards for the company, and ensuring that all tests and procedures meet these standards.
- Developing and maintaining a standard to organize and catalog testing data.
- Tracking open test and validation items while working with a global team of engineers to identify and resolve concerns within program budget and schedule constraints.
- Organizing and summarizing testing information to clearly communicate findings.
- Representing the Test Group in inter-departmental meetings to review and discuss test results.
- Preparing external publications that detail testing procedures and results for Blue Robotics products.
- Participating in cross-functional, mission-planning, and organization meetings.
- Assisting in Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action activities.
- Occasionally traveling to the Blue Robotics satellite office in Victoria, BC (contingent on COVID-19 border restrictions).
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related engineering field.
- 3+ years previous work experience as a Validation or Test Engineer in industry or an equivalent combination of education and experience designing test plans, conducting testing, and evaluating results.
- Experience performing the “Essential Functions” above in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience and/or interest in ocean technology and marine robotics.
- Demonstrated knowledge of applied statistics, experimental design, and reliability concepts.
- Familiarity with accelerated life testing and related principles.
- Experience with statistical software such as Minitab, Matlab, R, and Reliasoft is a plus.
- Experience with Python, Arduino, Raspberry Pi, and embedded C.
- Experience performing data acquisition and instrumentation.
- Familiarity with Solidworks or similar CAD packages.
- Familiarity with Autodesk Eagle or other PCB design software.
- Knowledge of industry-standard engineering and testing procedures.
- Experience using machine shop tools, hand tools, and power tools for light fabrication.
- Experience using precision measurement tools and inspection techniques.
- Ability to manage projects and technicians with limited oversight.
- Advanced technical writing, communication, and problem-solving skills.
This job requires long periods of time working on a computer, with occasional light lifting of components weighing 30 lbs or less.
- Competitive pay
- Comprehensive benefits – medical, dental, and vision
- 401(k) plan w/ 4% matching
- Generous paid-time-off policy
- Blue Robotics Education Support Program
- Flexible schedule
- Team lunches and other fun events