Join Cardno’s Science and Environment team in Sacramento, CA to play an integral role in reviewing of utility projects for potential environmental impacts and collaboration with a large interdisciplinary team of scientists to complete clearances on a timely basis.
Cardno is seeking Aquatic Biologists for our Sacramento, CA Office.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
· Assisting technical specialists in the field with fisheries, aquatics, temperature, water quality, and geomorphic surveys and monitoring efforts,
· Conducting research and compiling/summarizing data and information under the direction of project managers and/or technical specialists,
· Preconstruction resource surveys and construction monitoring activities to ensure consistency with permit requirements
· Entering technical data and preparing graphs and tables as needed, and
· Assisting with preparation of technical reports, plans, and permit applications.
· Bachelor’s degree in fisheries biology, fisheries ecology, or related field,
· Valid California Driver’s License
· 0-3 years of consulting experience,
· Must be authorized to work in U.S. without company sponsorship,
· Knowledge in identification of fish and aquatic species,
· Must be physically fit and able to navigate rugged conditions on foot,
· Demonstrate knowledge of basic ecology of fish species,
· Proficient in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Office Excel,
· Demonstrate competence in scientific research,
· Excellent oral and written communication,
· Outgoing personality and self-motivated with strong initiative,
· Strong quantitative skills,
· Detail oriented and resourceful,
· Solid time management and follow-through skills,
· Have the ability to simultaneously work on and assist with multiple tasks with tight deadlines, and
· Willingness to travel and work in remote areas in California for multiple days at a time,
· GIS (Arc View)
· Experience with desktop analysis for determination of field survey needs for projects
· Field survey experience including fish (native and non-native), aquatics (mesohabitat mapping, temperature and water quality monitoring), amphibians (foothill yellow-legged frogs), reptiles (western pond turtle), and plants (native and non-native) and wetlands (delineation)
· Certified to operate and trailer motorboats
· Experience in electrofishing, seining, and fish processing.
· General knowledge of various environmental permitting processes (404 and 401 of the Clean Water Act and LSAA 1600)
· Dive Certification
Equal Opportunity statement for US based applicants
Cardno has a long standing policy of Equal Opportunity in employment. Our practice is to fill positions by selecting applicants who can perform the work in a competent and professional manner. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status. At any time, if you need an accommodation during the application process, please contact Human Resources.