Since 1973, RBR has been designing and manufacturing oceanographic instruments in Ottawa, Ontario to measure our blue planet. The effects of climate change are being seen from the ocean’s abyss to the polar ice caps and our sensors quantify this change to support better analysis, improved planning, and more effective mitigation strategies. Our instruments measure water parameters in some of the harshest environments on the planet! They are mounted on underwater drones, dropped out of planes, and sent to the bottom of the ocean – sometimes for years at a time – all in an effort to get precise and accurate data to support climate research! We have been fortunate to be able to partner with some of the world’s leaders in the field of ocean science, like Fisheries and Oceans Canada, The Scripps Institution of Oceanography, The Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, The Norwegian Polar Institute, and The British Antarctic Survey, just to name a few!
At RBR, our people care about the environment, our community, their work, and – of course – each other! We value curiosity, experimentation, and doing the right thing, and while we do some serious work to support world-changing science, we don’t take ourselves too seriously – we like to let our hair down and cut loose too! Our Ottawa team recently moved our HQ to a new space that includes large meeting spaces to encourage collaboration, a sweet snack room, a large and modern lunch area, and even a fish tank!
About the Role
As a Technical Sales Representative at RBR, you will be an integral member of our Sales team. Working cross-functionally with members of the Sales, Finance, Production, and Engineering teams within RBR, as well as external contacts such as agents and customers, you’ll be the point person initiating customer orders. A numbers person at heart, you have an eye for detail and a drive for accuracy. You’re adept at multitasking and doggedly look for ways to improve the quality and efficiency of your work. You’re a relationship builder – you’re able to develop a quick rapport with customers in order to develop trust and an understanding of customer needs. As a Technical Sales Representative at RBR, you’ll have the opportunity to learn new systems, work with multi-faceted groups, and get exposure to cutting-edge technology with a real-world impact. This role is designed to be a training ground where you will have the opportunity to be exposed to inside and outside sales over time. Travel may be required as you develop and grow within this position.
What You’ll Do:
- Understand customer needs and requirements
- Quote incoming leads from global customers and agents and issue proactive follow-ups as required
- Liaise between the Sales and Finance teams
- Execute order entry in Salesforce for orders received from customers, members of the Sales team, and external agents
- Verify order information like shipping and payment terms, and confirm that product information is accurate, complete and consistent
- Generate and issue order acknowledgements to customers
- Transfer order information from Salesforce into our QuickBooks financial system
- Manage and update customer accounts and contact list in Salesforce
- Create work orders for RBR’s in-house production facility, and coordinate with Engineering for the release of new products
- Qualify incoming leads and delegate them to the appropriate salesperson or agent
- Research and identify new qualified contacts and add them to Salesforce
- Identify and implement continuous improvement of processes to ensure customer satisfaction.
What You Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in the sciences or equivalent work experience
- 2-5 years of sales experience
- An understanding of sensor technology
- Strong communication skills and a customer service focus
- Excellent attention to detail, time management and organizational skills, and a solutions-orientation
- Resourcefulness, curiosity, and collaboration
- An ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and a drive to find better, more efficient, more effective ways of doing things
- Proficiency with technology tools and platforms, like Google Suite, Slack, MS Office applications and Salesforce or other CRM platforms
- The ability to understand key components of complex products to build quotes and confirm orders
- The determination to delight the customer at every opportunity
- Ideally, you bring a passion for science, engineering, the ocean and the natural environment
Why Join RBR?
- The ability to make an impact and support climate research
- Electric vehicle incentive of up to $10,000 – plus on-site charging stations
- Greener commuting incentive program
- Charitable donation matching of up to $1,000 annually to charities of your choosing
- A wide range of employee wellbeing initiatives
- $200 annual wellness reimbursement program
- Work from wherever Wednesdays
- Friday lunches (on us)!
- Corporate fitness membership program
- Employee recognition program
- Employee Assistance Program
- Competitive vacation, pay, and benefits
- 20 days of annual vacation, plus time off between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day
- Immediate comprehensive benefits plan (medical, dental, etc.)
- Competitive market salary
- RRSP contribution matching
- Referral program for new hires
At RBR we celebrate and support diversity in our workplace, we are an equal opportunity employer and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We seek to recruit the best and most talented people for the job, period. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.