About the job
A wholly-owned subsidiary of Danaher Corporation (NYSE: DHR), Sea-Bird Scientific (www.seabird.com) is headquartered in Bellevue, Washington. Sea-Bird Scientific is the world’s largest developer and manufacturer of products for the measurement of salinity, temperature, pressure, dissolved oxygen, fluorescence, nutrients, and related oceanographic parameters in marine waters. We offer products to support best-in-class oceanography and climate science. We offer an entrepreneurial environment that is team-centered, customer-driven, quality-focused, and growth-oriented.
Working at Sea-Bird Scientific gives you access to a robust career development process and challenging stretch opportunities. Sea-Bird Scientific is proud to be one of Danaher’s Water Quality companies. Through strong customer partnerships, the water platform advances the quality and delivery of water. Want to help us in this mission?
About the Sales Engineer role:
The Sales Engineer helps to ensure application and data requirements are met with the optimum system solutions that our customers need. Dive in technically and discuss project goals and application objectives and the operational conditions likely to affect customers and then make recommendations that support those environmental needs. In addition to selling skills, you’ll be a true value partner to customers providing critical advice and consultation on application use. Be a key point of contact providing both pre-and post-sales support. Our customers are primarily government and academic research scientists. Other customers include consulting companies, system integrators, resellers, and international distributors.
This opportunity also comes with global exposure and will help support and develop our partners in other regions across the world.
Ideally, this role would be based in the Seattle, WA area but could also be remotely based in Canada or the Western US region.
- Train and guide prospective and current customers to understand methodologies for achieving quality data through a variety of sampling strategies, sensor and capability choices, and environmental assessment. Mentorship and training to be provided to customers through interactive formats including webinars, formal training events (Sea-Bird University), to one-on-one consultations.
- Maintain existing and develop new customers by corresponding primarily via phone and email to provide technical application assistance, product information, price proposals, acquire purchase orders and contracts, process sales orders, and conduct market research.
- Learn and apply sales and service policies and procedures, become familiar with Seabird Scientific operations and engineering functions, and communicate and drive internally and externally using appropriate methods to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships.
- Visit and engage with customers, channel partners, and distributors through domestic and international travel for in-person customer visits, formal and informal training events, scientific conferences, trade shows, and distributor-requested customer visits.
- Travel as the need arises to meet customer demands and be up to 25% at any given point in time, about 1 week per month.
What makes this opportunity exciting?
- You get to be a part of Danaher Corporation, rated 162 on the Fortune 500 list.
- Sea-Bird Scientific provides data to the world for measuring climate change; We are leaders in climate change monitoring and looking at the carbon cycle in the ocean.
- We have an outstanding customer base, and the markets we serve are typically towards environmental protection, ultimately, making the world a better place!
- Full benefits including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) matching all on day one!
Are you qualified?
- Bachelor’s degree in science, and/or engineering required. Strong relevant experience may be considered alternatively
- 3+ years of demonstrated ability to sell highly technical products is desired
- 3+ years of proven experience working in integrated system configuration and design, including determination of use cases, power requirements, environmental and support constraints, outside manufactured requirements, etc. is highly desired
- Experience working with Salesforce.com or similar CRM and Oracle ERP is preferred
- Experience in technical training of customers including preparation and presentation of training materials, addressing questions, and follow-up a plus
- Experience in sales and/or marketing to international customers and distributors is desired
- Mature, credible, and comfortable in collaborating with scientists, engineers, and company executives.
- Second language fluency in Mandarin, French, Spanish or Portuguese is desired
When you join us, you’ll also be joining Danaher’s global organization, where 69,000 people wake up every day determined to help our customers win. As an associate, you’ll try new things, work hard, and advance your skills with guidance from dedicated leaders, all with the support of powerful Danaher Business System tools and the stability of a tested organization.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. We value diversity and the existence of similarities and differences, both visible and not, found in our workforce, workplace and throughout the markets we serve. Our associates, customers and shareholders contribute unique and different perspectives as a result of these diverse attributes.
The EEO posters are available here.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at email@example.com to request accommodation.
If you’ve ever wondered what’s within you, there’s no better time to find out.