About the job
At Saildrone, we sustainably explore, map, and monitor the oceans to understand, preserve, and protect our world. Saildrone provides real-time access to critical data from any ocean on earth, 24/7/365, and uses proprietary software applications to transform that data into actionable insights and intelligence. Saildrone’s fleet of uncrewed surface vehicles (USVs), powered by renewable wind and solar power, have a minimal carbon footprint and operate 24/7/365, without the need for a crewed support vehicle. We work with governments, civil agencies, foundations, universities, and private companies around the globe to drive better information about our oceans and seas—from sailing drones into the eye of a Category 4 hurricane to obtain new scientific storm data, mapping the ocean floor, collecting new CO2 data in hard-to-reach areas, counting biomass to establish fishing quotas, or detecting and stopping illegal fishing and drug trafficking. As a result of our work, we have been included on Fast Company’s annual list of the “World’s Most Innovative Companies for 2022” and earned the 2022 Ocean Awards’ Innovation Award, presented by the Blue Marine Foundation. Saildrone’s hurricane mission was included as one of the New York Times “Top 21 Things that happened (for the first time) in 2021”, and Popular Science‘s “100 Greatest Innovations of 2021”.
We are based in Alameda, CA, with offices in Washington DC, St. Petersburg, FL, and Fall River, MA, and operate our missions worldwide. We are backed by top-tier investors in the frontier-tech and sustainability sectors, including Social Capital, Capricorn, Lux Capital, BOND Capital, and Emerson Collective.
This is an exciting opportunity with a fast-growing team at the cutting-edge intersection of big data services and autonomous hardware. You will be an integral part of a high-performing multi-disciplinary delivering high impact for humanity and future generations.
Saildrone is seeking an experienced Bathymetry Data Manager (BDM) to develop internal processes, procedures, and infrastructure for acquisition, post-processing, and management of bathymetric data. You will be part of a talented, collaborative team at the forefront of exciting new ventures in the uncrewed vehicle space.
As a Bathymetry Data Manager (BDM) your responsibilities will include integration and implementation of
an end-to-end data management system for bathymetry and associated data acquired by Saildrone’s fleet
of autonomous bathymetry vehicles in collaboration with the Saildrone Software and Data teams. In
addition, you will be responsible for managing the post-processing of collected bathymetry data, including
single-beam sonar, multibeam sonar, sound velocity profiles, and GNSS data. Additional responsibilities
include but are not limited to the following:
- Developing bathymetry survey acquisition and processing requirements for cloud-based solutions for data processing, data management, and data access in collaboration with the Saildrone Software and Infrastructure teams.
- Establishing data processing procedures and associated QA/QC standards.
- Coordinating with Saildrone Software and Infrastructure teams to implementing new technologies, methods and procedures to improve data quality and usability, in particular, automation.
- Providing final products and required reports to internal and external customers.
- Maintaining archives of mission data, products, and associated reports.
- Assisting in the production of final reports, research papers, and presentations.
- Keeping up to date on latest IHO and national data standards and procedures.
- Develop KPI’s that define drive high Customer Satisfaction scores.
- Manage and coach team members to develop new best practices for remote bathymetry survey.
- Support Post Mission debrief with Customers to understand areas of continuous improvement.
- Interface with Mission Managers, Pilot, and Vehicle Technicians regarding drone performance and data quality. Identify and raise issues to improve quality and route mapping.
Required Skills And Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Hydrography, Oceanography, Geomatics, or related discipline
- Detail-oriented with a disciplined approach to communications, processes, and projects
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills
- 5 or more years of experience processing and managing bathymetric/hydrographic data
- Familiarity with processing software such as, Qimera, CARIS, Fledermaus, FMGT, FMMW, PosPac, etc.
- Interest and passion for new technology applications for ocean mapping
Desired Skills And Experience
- Category A Hydrographer with significant experience in ocean surveying
- 10 or more years experience managing and processing bathymetric/hydrographic data
- Experience in Cloud-based applications
- Expert in processing software such as, Qimera, CARIS, PosPac, etc.
- Experience using geospatial information systems
Location: This role will be located in St Petersburg FL but has the option of being remote. Only candidates with proper permits to work in the United States can be considered.
- Medical, dental and vision plans for you and your dependents
- Alameda is a short and relaxing ferry ride from the Ferry Building for SF residents
- Enhanced Parental Leave Programs
- Competitive benefits including excellent medical, life insurance, 401k plan
Catch up on the latest news about us:
Interagency Public-Private Partnership Sends Uncrewed Saildrone to Explore Remote Alaskan Waters – NOAA OER (August 11, 2022)
An Unprecedented View Inside a Hurricane – EOS (May 6, 2022)
Meet the sailing robots trying to solve climate change – The Hill (Mar. 18, 2022)
They Sailed Into a Hurricane, Now these Unmanned Saildrones are Seeking Data on Our Carbon Uptake – CNN (Dec. 9, 2021)
Saildrone Catches a $100M C Breeze to Build More Robo-boats – TechCrunch (Oct. 18, 2021)
With A Sight, Sound And Radar Picture, Saildrone Could Build An AI Database Of Everything In The Ocean – Forbes (Aug. 16, 2021)
Changing Arctic Environment Could Also Change Technologies Needed to Protect It, Experts Say – SeaPower Magazine (Aug. 2, 2021)
Autonomous Research Vehicle Completes Ocean Crossing from San Francisco to Hawaii – Hydro International (July 13, 2021)
Saildrone Featured Videos Playlist
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Individual compensation packages are based on geographic location, scope of the role, relevant experience, and the ability to deal with complexity and problem solve within our organization, among other factors.
Individuals who require employer sponsorship to remain employed in the United States now or in the future will not be considered for hire for certain positions.
In accordance with Saildrone’s mandatory employee COVID-19 vaccination policy, please be advised that all employees are required to be vaccinated and boosted to safeguard the health of our employees and their families, our customers and visitors and the community at large.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our website or to personal email accounts of employees of Saildrone are considered property of Saildrone and are not subject to payment of agency fees.