About the job
- The tissue in plants that brings water upward from the roots;
- a leading global water technology company.
We’re a global team unified in a common purpose: creating advanced technology solutions to the world’s water challenges. Developing new technologies that will improve the way water is used, conserved, and re-used in the future is central to our work. Our products and services move, treat, analyze, monitor and return water to the environment, in public utility, industrial, residential and commercial building services settings. Xylem also provides a leading portfolio of smart metering, network technologies and advanced analytics solutions for water, electric and gas utilities. In more than 150 countries, we have strong, long-standing relationships with customers who know us for our powerful combination of leading product brands and applications expertise with a strong focus on developing comprehensive, sustainable solutions. For more information, please visit us at www.xylem.com.
If you are excited and passionate about helping us solve water, we want to hear from you!
The Role: Sensus, a Xylem brand, seeks to hire an intern to join a team of experienced and dynamic writers who report to the Manager of Technical Communications. The internship is for a 20-hour work week and is offered for either the summer or fall semesters.
You will write, review and edit technical documentation, participate in project meetings, and conduct analysis of the content portfolio. The successful candidate has a working knowledge of DITA/XML and content management systems and experience turning technical information into effective, topic-based content.
Content you develop will be published and you’ll exit the internship with writing samples for your portfolio.
The hourly rate for an intern is dependent on a variety of factors including major, year in school and geographic location. The average hourly rate for an intern is between $21.00 – $27.00/hour. Locations of internships will vary based on the specified project and function, and will either be on-site, hybrid or fully remote.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities
- Participate in peer review of technical documentation for hardware and software products
- Collaborate with technical communications team members and project teams to develop new content
- Evaluate the library of current content and identify gaps
- Analyze the structure and metadata tagging of our content across multiple business systems
- Follow the technical communications team processes that cover document control, database management, document distribution and our custom style guide
Minimum Qualifications: Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Currently enrolled in one of the following:
- A graduate program in Technical Communications
- A program concentrating on technical writing
- A program in Information or Library Science
- Working knowledge of DITA/XML and Content Management systems
- Comfort with topic-based writing
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with style guides
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud is a plus
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend and move about the facility
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.)
- Office: Standard office equipment; work usually performed in an office setting free from any disagreeable elements
- Standard weekly job hours: 20 hours
Xylem is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.