MTS seeks a full-time Manager, Programs & Community Engagement to join our small and mighty headquarters team. Reporting to the Director of Member Engagement, the Manager is the primary staff liaison to more than two dozen geographically distributed member sections and subject-specific professional committees. The position serves as the lead program manager for a suite of existing and to-be-developed professional development activities for MTS, including student and early career cohort programs, credentials, and professional development opportunities. The successful incumbent must have excellent people skills, enjoy working with the public, and possess a keen understanding of member value, program quality, and impact. The Manager can be based anywhere in the US, with a preference for contiguous time zones.
This role includes the following essential functions, and other duties as assigned:
Section and Committee Leadership – Cultivate trusted and enduring relationships with MTS section and committee leadership. Support member-led expansion and delivery of section and committee programming, including technical workshops, social and fundraising events, member recruitment activities, MATE regional competitions, and community engagement. Facilitate bi-annual meetings and regular engagement with section and committee leadership, ensuring timely budget preparation, submission of annual reports, promotional messages, and updates to policies. Develop committee and section leadership pipelines to support succession planning; administer annual elections for section, committee, and board of director roles. Working closely with MATE staff, establish and deepen collaborative relationships between student sections, regular sections, and MATE regional competitions.
Program Design and Management – Balance internal resource constraints alongside market forces and community and member expectations to support the member-led design, expansion, and delivery of MTS professional programs including student and early-career professional development (e.g. EMERGE) and credentialing programs. Support a sustainable delivery tempo of compelling member- and partner-generated webinars. Regularly solicit program impact and experience feedback (by video conference, phone, face-to-face meetings, surveys, and other online feedback mechanisms) from existing, prospective, and inactive section and committee members. Working closely with members, MTS staff, and leadership, manage the regular assessment and refinement of all member-facing programs (including sunsetting activities and considering new ventures) to ensure maximum impact and value for members.
Cross-program collaboration – With MTS and member leadership, develop, implement, assess, and refine strategies to increase member recruitment and retention through enhanced section, committee, and other programmatic engagement. Work with membership and communications staff to refine and optimize utilization of the Society’s AMS (MemberClicks) as a connectivity platform, including building out new infrastructure for sections and committees.
Travel—Travel required up to four weeks per year to manage MTS exhibit presence at tradeshows and conferences, to attend staff meetings, and to ensure successful execution of committee and section events, including occasional international travel, for the purposes of recruiting new members, face-to-face meetings with existing members and committee & section partners, and any retention opportunities with existing individual and organizational members.
What you bring to the role
• A bachelor’s degree from an accredited academic institution and at least five years of full-time experience, preferably in a non-profit or association setting. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
• A passion for the oceans and a hunger to learn about ideas and developments at the cutting-edge of marine technology.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills with the ability to draft concise, compelling messages.
• Proficiency using database management software (CRM, ASM) to manage program and member data and to generate analytics to inform strategy and tactics.
• Proficiency using Microsoft and Adobe products and collaboration software.
• Keen attention to detail as well as demonstrated time- and project-management skills, including an ability to meet multiple deadlines by maintaining a high level of organization.
• Demonstrated ability to collect, interpret, and extract key details from myriad data to inform the refinement of near- and long-range program, committee, and section strategies.
• Pride in your attention to detail, ability to solve problems (sometimes with incomplete information), and desire to inform decisions with the best available data.
• A current Certified Association Executive (CAE) or Project Management Professional (PMP) credential is preferred.
What we have to offer
• Salary commensurate with experience and negotiable, expected to be approximately $75k per year base, with annual bonus opportunities.
• MTS staff work flexible hours and are fully remote.
• 403(b) retirement match up to 5%, vested immediately.
• 100% employer paid medical, dental, and vision for you (90% employer paid for dependents).
• 2 weeks paid annual leave, 2 weeks paid sick leave, 13 paid holidays, and company closure days.
• $200 per month work from home stipend to help you succeed in a remote environment.
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Application review will begin June 22 and continue until filled.