In this seminar, Dr. Tarik Benmarhnia will explore how regional climate change and variability influence wildfires and modulate the incidence, intensity and flavor of extreme heat and health impacts in San Diego.
He will discuss:
- How to evaluate which communities are particularly vulnerable to heat and wildfire smoke.
- Approaches to model exposure to fine particles from wildfire smoke (PM2.5).
- Case studies in San Diego quantifying health impacts associated with extreme heat and wildfire smoke
- How infectious diseases such as COVID-19 can compound these impacts to a diverse and evolving SoCal demographic
- Adaptation strategies to help reduce the health burden related to climate change in the San Diego region.